Lift, curl, press, and push more with these 12 challenging moves for your biceps, triceps, and shoulders. Learn how to master your form with the GIFs below, then prepare to feel the burn.
1. Dumbbell Thruster
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand. Have your palms facing in and elbows bent so hands are at your shoulders.
- Hinge your hips back and lower into a squat. Go as low as you can.
- Then push up to stand and press dumbbells overhead in one movement.
- Return to squat and repeat.
2. Warrior Kickbacks
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart with a dumbbell in each hand. Shift weight to left foot and extend your right leg behind you while lowering your torso so that your chest is facing the ground.
- Keep elbows close to your torso and bring the weights to your shoulders, then extend them behind you.
- Start in high plank with your shoulders above your wrists and your spine long.
- Bend your elbows and lower your body to the mat. Drop to your knees if needed.
- Push through the palms of your hands to straighten your arms.
4. Plank Up
- Start in high plank. Bend one arm to bring the elbow and forearm to the floor.
- Bring the other arm down so you are in a forearm plank.
- Push back up to the start position, placing each hand where your elbows were.
- Repeat this movement, alternating which side you lower first with each rep.
5. Plank Taps
- Start in high plank with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Then tap each hand to the opposite shoulder while engaging your core and glutes to keep the hips as still as possible.
6. Lateral Plank Walk
- Start in high plank with shoulders above your wrists and abs tight.
- Step right foot and right hand to right side immediately following with left foot and left hand. Take a few “steps” in one direction, then walk in the opposite direction.
7. Tricep Dips
- Sit on the ground with your legs in front and your back up against a box or step. Place your palms on the box or step behind you, fingers facing forward.
- Straighten your arms to lift your legs and butt off the ground, then bend your elbows to lower back down (without letting your butt touch the ground). Keep your heels on the ground, and make sure you keep your elbows directly behind your body during this exercise.
8. Dumbbell Hammer Curl to Press
- Stand tall with your feet hip-width apart and a weight in each hand with your palms facing in.
- Curl the weights to yours shoulders.
- Then press the weights overhead.
9. Overhead Triceps Extension
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Hold the middle of a dumbbell in both hands behind your neck, elbows bent and pointing towards the sky, upper arms by your ears.
- Without moving your upper arms, extend your forearms above your head. Keep your shoulders down and core tight.
- Lower your forearms to the starting position.
10. Diamond Push-Up
- Start in high plank. Walk your hands together so that your thumbs and forefingers form a triangle.
- Bend elbows to lower your torso toward the ground to do a complete push-up.
- If it’s too tough, lower your knees.
11. Bicep Curls
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and a weight in each hand with your arms by your sides.
- Keep your elbows next to your torso and curl the weights up to meet your shoulders.
- Slowly lower them back down.
12. Elevated Push-Up
- Start in high plank with your hands resting on a low box, bench, step, or couch.
- Keeping your elbows close to your torso, bend your arms and lower your chest to meet the top of the box.
- Be sure to keep your core tight and spine long. Then, push through your palms to straighten arms.